Live from DC

Well ladies and gentlemen; it has definitely been a busy two weeks. I apologize for the lack of posts. Hopefully I can cover everything that has happened.

To begin with, I am feeling much better than I was the last time I made a post. Thank goodness for Mucinex and cough drops!

June 9-12

On Thursday, I had the chance to sit in on a Women in Agriculture meeting here at AFBF, which was very interesting. Sitting in a room full of independent, driven, and intelligent women just drove home the pride I have in the industry of agriculture and my desire to be a part of it.

After work on Friday, I went with a friend to Jazz in the Garden. We enjoyed great jazz music and even better Sangria. I don’t think there was a bare space of grass in the entire garden, as there were so many people. I parted ways with my friend with the intention of meeting up with another friend, but it just so happened we missed each other. So I headed to the metro, only to run into my other friend again. We heard there was a small concert at the capitol, so we took off in that direction. We arrived shortly as they were beginning, but the best part of it was watching the sunset from the capitol. Best sight ever. After the concert, we headed our separate directions and I headed home. The metro got me to Pentagon City, but as I rounded the corner, headed to the bus stop, I watched as my bus pulled away. That is the most helpless feeling ever. So I sat for another 30 minutes waiting for the next bus. It was a good think I had my Kindle or I would have been very bored.

Saturday morning, I got up and headed into town to check out the Native American Museum. I had so much fun walking through the exhibits. With four stories, it definitely didn’t disappoint. I made my way through the history of different Native American tribes. I spent approximately four hours walking around the giant museum and I’m pretty sure I still missed a few things. After finishing up at the museum, I headed home to get ready to go see the National Symphony Orchestra.

I am in complete awe of the amazing talent the individuals in the NSO possess.  Sitting just four rows from the stage, I could see every movement by the violin players. I really wish I had taken an interest in musical instruments at a young age, so that I could play today. Anyway, I had an absolutely fantastic time at the orchestra. Afterwards, we took a walk around DC. Not exactly the best decision in the world, as I had high heels on. The blisters on my feet the next day were ridiculous. However the city at night is the most amazing/beautiful thing you will ever see. I don’t think I could ever tire of seeing it all lit up. The blisters were totally worth it.

June 13-17

On the following Monday, I attended my first DC Ag Intern Network event. My fellow interns and I traveled the short distance to CropLife America headquarters, where we met other agriculture interns in DC, enjoyed some awesome tacos, and listened to a presentation about chemical application and pests. It was a very interesting discussion. We were also educated on a recent campaign by CropLife America, called #AgLoudAgProud. They are encouraging individuals to show their agriculture pride by posting pictures to social media with the Ag Loud Ag Proud hashtag. So of course, all the AFBF interns took an obligatory picture sporting our #AgLoudAgProud paraphernalia. I am definitely looking forward to the next Ag Intern Network event, which happens to be at AFBF.

The next evening, I along with the other interns had the chance to eat dinner with the Minnesota Farm Bureau President, while he was in town testifying on behalf of AFBF. We ate at a place near the capitol building, called The Monocle and it was fantastic. Also joining us, were President Paap’s wife and the Oregon Farm Bureau President. Throughout the evening President Papp, his wife and the Oregon FB President gave us advice to make the most of our time in DC, shared many interesting stories, and got to know us a little better. It was a wonderful evening.

The following day after work, I made the trek to Fort Myer to see Twilight Tattoo, an hour long show about the history of the army, featuring actual soldiers. After getting off the Metro at Clarendon, I made the mile long walk to the base entrance. Once again I did not wear the correct shoes. Although this time they were flats, I had yet to break them in. Shortly after finding my seat, I found that my heel was bleeding and blood was everywhere. Yay…. However once the show started, thoughts of my foot slipped away. It was very cool. Over the course of the show we traveled through several major wars, listened to the Army Band play some amazing music and overall saw a really neat show. After it concluded, they allowed the audience to actually go and interact with the costumed soldiers. So of course I went and took pictures with them in their various wardrobes.

Afterwards, I went and ate dinner with a few friends. When dinner was over we headed back to the car only to find that the driver had forgotten to turn the headlights off and the battery was dead… So that was fun. Thankfully they had a friend who was awesome enough to come jump us off. Afterwards we went to McDonalds to get food for another of their friends and to celebrate I got sweet tea. Let me tell you, sweet tea is hard to come by here in DC, and that glass of sweet tea was the best I have had in a long time. I savored every last drop.

Friday, after work, my fellow interns and I hit up Jazz in the Garden again. We forgot to grab a blanket or beach towel, so we just sat under a tree. Shortly after arriving though, I had to leave to meet up with a friend to have dinner. So I made my way to Rosslyn and from there to Georgetown. I can’t recall the name of the restaurant we ate at, but it was amazing; the company was better though. After dinner, we were thinking of hitting up a movie, but most of the movies weren’t playing for a few hours. So we decided to walk down to DC. Along the way I was educated on various DC History and cool facts. Like did you know there is an ordinance that no building in DC can be taller than the Capitol? Now you do! Anyway, we made our way down to the Washington Monument, spent a few minutes talking there and then made the walk back to Georgetown. All in all it was a wonderful evening.

June 18-22

On Saturday, I got up early and went for a run and then headed out to adventure. The destination was the National Gallery of Art. Arriving around 10am, I spent the next 3 hours perusing the painting and statues; even fangirling over several painting by Claude Monet. After making my way through the entire art gallery, I went in search of food. Food trucks are very convenient in DC and they are actually really good, so for lunch I got food at a food truck. I found a nice place to sit under a tree and enjoyed the beautiful weather and my lunch. Afterwards, I was feeling slightly tired, so I headed back to the apartment, only to arrive and decide to head to the pool. So I packed up a small tote and made my way to the pool to enjoy soaking in the sun for a few hours before calling it a day.

Sunday was a pretty lazy day. I did get to FaceTime with my family, which was very much needed. Not only were Mom, Dad, and Matt at home, but so were both sets of grandparents. It was so great to catch up with everyone and get a chance to talk to them. Then to top off the call, I got to see my baby – Hank. I miss him so much. Only a few more weeks till I fly home for a conference, and I am definitely counting down the days till I get to come home.

Monday was quiet in the office. Tuesday after work I met up with a friend and tried a new restaurant. Super good food! I have come to find that DC and northern Virginia have some really awesome eateries.

That should catch up everything. I will try to be better about staying updated!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: